Thursday, April 11, 2013

Space Is Stronger

The bus rolls into Kadina. The landscape no longer reminds anyone of France.

Arthur and Ouvert lapse into a travellers' torpor.

Bunny is reading Lourdes to Baby Pierre and Lavender, who keep on interrupting.

Her box, what does it look like? asks Lavender.

Like a little wooden coffin on wheels, says Bunny.

Why would it have wheels? says Baby Pierre. She's on a train.

It has wheels, says Bunny, so that when they get to Lourdes, Pierre can drag Marie to the Grotto.

See, Baby Pierre, says Lavender. It does have wheels. My box didn't.

When were you in a box? says Baby Pierre. You weren't.  I don't believe you.

When I was at the diggings with Arthur, says Lavender. I had to go in a box. You weren't there, so you don't know.

What for? says Baby Pierre.

So I wouldn't break, says Lavender.

You couldn't break, says Bunny. You're a fossilised shell imprinted in a pebble.

Baby Pierre rolls his eyes. He knows what's coming.

No, says Lavender. The fossilised shell's not me. I'm the space inside it. Arthur filled my space with mud, so I could see what I looked like, but when it dried I broke.

That shows that space is stronger, observes Bunny.

Oh yes, I'm stronger, says Lavender.

Than mud, says Baby Pierre.

Shut up, says Lavender.

At last the bus arrives in Wallaroo.

You want to get off at the Rotunda? shouts the driver.

Yes, says Violetta. Wait up! No!

She has seen a policeman lurking behind the Rotunda.

Too bad, says the driver. Rotunda was requested. You have to get off here.

They get off the bus, Gaius with his folder full of notes and box of cucumbers, Violetta with her purple backpack full of aerosols, Bunny with Lavender and the book of miracles, Arthur with Ouvert.

No one has noticed Baby Pierre is missing.

Hello 'ello, says the policeman.

Hello, officer, says Gaius. How may I.......VICTOR!

GAIUS! says the policeman, beaming. Welcome! Welcome to Wallaroo!


No comments: