Friday, April 19, 2013

Various Attitudes To Unexplained Death

Hello 'ello, says Victor, seeing the box marked CONFISCATED GOODS. That's my box!

Is it indeed? says the Copper Coast Mayor. So the tale we heard at the meeting was true!

No no, says Victor. I think you'll find that the box is full of rubber goods. Arthur, what's that you're waving?

Arthur stuffs the twitching cuttlefish into his pocket.

My dinner, says Arthur. That's all.

In the interests of transparency, says the Mayor, I think we should open the box.

It's been opened, says Bunny. All it is is dead cuttlefish. Except....

I didn't hear that, says the Copper Coast Mayor. Did you, Victor? Oh my, what's that out on the jetty ? A fire?

Victor jerks his head up to look.

It does look like some sort of a fire.

Let's go! cries Victor, leaping over the barrier and beginning to run towards the fire.

I'm not going, says the Mayor. But while Victor is busy, let us decide what to do with the box.

We were going to throw the dead cuttlefish into the water, says Bunny. But not the box.

That's not on, says the Mayor. How would it look? They'll wash up on the shore. Where's that Gaius fellow when we need him?

That Gaius fellow was not far away. He and Lavender had gone to the police station and seen the broken window. Lavender had suggested they go straight away to the jetty.

So here is Gaius, at the jetty just when he is needed.

Hello Arthur and Bunny, says Gaius. We thought you might be here. Hello your worship! This is a surprise.

Never mind that, says the Mayor. Have you got a quick way of turning dead cuttlefish into tooth powder?

I'll need a fire, says Gaius.

How fortuitous! There's one out there! says the Mayor, pointing to the end of the jetty. Young man, please run after Victor and ask him not to put it out after all.

Arthur runs off after Victor.

Just then Ageless arrives at the jetty.

Gaius! says Ageless. So you're here! I have a bone to pick with you!

Ageless! squeaks Baby Pierre from behind the bollard.

Baby Pierre! cries Ageless. My dear boy!

Oh, there you are Baby Pierre, says Lavender. Guess what?

What? says Baby Pierre.

Bunny left me behind in the meeting, says Lavender loudly.

It was an accident, says Bunny.

She left me on the bus on purpose, says Baby Pierre. That's worse.

What's in the box there?  asks Ageless. It stinks like dead fish.

He flicks up the lid with a pincer, peers in and turns ashen.

My brethren! cries Ageless, and faints.


No comments: