Saturday, April 27, 2013

What Is Worse Than A Yes?

Now the death box is back at the police station, the Twitcher has nowhere to go.

He lies flat on the pavement in a puddle of inky brown water.

We can't leave him out in the air like this, says Bunny. He should be in water.

I should be in water, says Twitcher.

Brenda runs into the Town Hall and comes back with a kettle.

Careful, says Beverley. Check the water's not hot.

Brenda sticks her finger gingerly into the kettle.

Phew, says Brenda. Lucky you said that! It's hot.

She runs back inside the Town Hall with the kettle.

Ageless sidles up to the Twitcher.

Brother, says Ageless. Seeing that you are the new Chosen One.....

Brother? says the Twitcher. What do you mean?

You are about to be funded to Turkey, says Ageless. To swan over and see your beloved, all expenses paid. Far be it from me to be jealous....

Am I? says the Twitcher, not quite keeping up.

No, no, me, says Ageless. I'm not jealous.

Am I going to Turkey? says Twitcher.

Just then Brenda comes back with a kettle of cold water, a bucket and a packet of salt.

Oh, well done, Brenda, says Beverley. You even remembered the salt.

The Twitcher is lifted into the air.

Stop! cries Ageless. It's the wrong sort of salt!

Beverley returns Twitcher to the pavement, beside Ageless.

You need a minder, says Ageless. That's what I was saying. A minder who understands you, a fellow ....errr.... sea creature..... but one who has greater wisdom due to his considerable age.....

The wrong sort of salt, says the Twitcher. How come?

You are two steps behind me, says Ageless. But the answer is, it's not sea salt.

If I was two steps behind you, says Twitcher, I would be over there.

That's not what I meant, says Ageless. But never mind that now. What I am offering you is my protection on your free trip to Turkey. I can save you from well-meaning fools.

Uhh-huh, uhh-huh, uhh-huh, says the Twitcher.

Is that a yes? enquires Ageless.

Unfortunately, it isn't. It is something much worse.


No comments: