Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sister Hyacinthe And Brother Ageless

Come and sit here, says Bunny to Lavender and Baby Pierre. I'll read more of Lourdes. It'll help pass the time on the bus.

We don't trust you, says Baby Pierre.

We only trust Arthur, says Lavender.

Then Arthur can read it, says Bunny. It makes no difference to me. 

She hands Arthur the book.

Arthur starts reading.

Arthur! says Lavender. Read aloud!

It's about ugly people with horrible diseases, says Arthur. 

Not Marie, says Bunny. She's beautiful. She has an internal injury, and she's thin and can't walk.

She's in a box, says Lavender. Like the Twitcher.

Did somebody mention me?  asks the Twitcher, rising to the surface of his tank.

Yes, says Baby Pierre. Lavender says this story's about someone like you. Come over and listen.

Someone will have to move me, says the Twitcher. Ageless, my brother....?

Ageless sighs. It is difficult for him to manage the Twitcher, even on a bus. The water in the portable saltwater aquarium slops and rolls and splashes the seat. 

Can't do it, says Ageless.

I'll do it, says Bunny. I feel like Sister Hyacinthe. Ave! Ave!

She picks up the aquarium and plonks it on the seat next to Arthur.

Hey! says Arthur. I'm wet!

Sorry, says Twitcher. I could get out for a while.

Now you tell us, says Ageless. I mean, yes certainly, why not, my brother? Let me help you.

Hee hee, giggles Lavender. Brother Ageless!

So who is like ME? says the Twitcher, when Ageless has levered him out.

Marie is like you, says Lavender. She has an internal injury......

I don't have an internal injury, says the Twitcher, disappointed.

And she has to ride in a box like you, Twitcher, says Lavender. You didn't wait till I'd finished.

Where's she going? asks Twitcher.

To Lourdes, for a miracle, says Bunny. It's so lovely.

No it isn't, says Arthur. You're missing the point. It's just a psychological illness. That's why she'll be cured.

How disappointing, says Bunny. How do you know? 

It's obvious, says Arthur. Can't you read subtext?

Give me that book, says Bunny, grabbing it back.

The Twitcher is very confused. 

What is subtext?


No comments: