Friday, May 10, 2013

You Are What You Eat

The first leg of the flight is from Adelaide to Dubai. Thirteen and a half hours. A long time.

After half an hour's flying the Twitcher is restless, and hungry.

He keeps asking for food.

Gaius calls the flight attendant over.

Just wondering, says Gaius. Any chance you have molluscs or crabs on the dinner menu?

No, sorry sir, says the attendant. Is it for your pet? You should have listed its special requirements.

Dear, dear, says Gaius. How about worms?

Ha ha, laughs the flight attendant.

That wasn't a joke, says the Twitcher. I do eat worms. And furthermore, get this straight, I am nobody's pet.

I see you are eating a sandwich, sir, says the flight attendant, addressing Gaius and ignoring the Twitcher. It smells like sardines.

What of it? says Gaius. There is no law against that, I hope.

No no, says the flight attendant. There is no law against it. But I wondered if your .....marine companion, might also like sardines.

It hadn't occurred to me, says Gaius. Let me ask him. Twitcher, would you like a sardine?

NO! shouts the Twitcher, alarming the passengers.

Why not, says Gaius, surprised.

If you think I'm having a double dose of radiation, says the Twitcher, you are mistaken.

The flight attendant is alerted at once.

What's this? Radiation? says the flight attendant. I shall have to report it. In fact, sir, your companion will need to be taken to the sick bay for testing. The plane may even have to turn round.

Nonsense, says Gaius. The Twitcher was just being silly.

Nevertheless, I shall report it to the captain, says the flight attendant. I must ask you not to leave your seat.

The flight attendant hurries away.

Gaius turns to Katherine, who is sitting beside him, her nose in a book.

Katherine, says Gaius, why didn't you support us?

Katherine looks up.

I was rather hoping the Twitcher would go to the sick bay, says Katherine. He's being a pestering nuisance.

Twitcher sinks to the bottom of his portable saltwater aquarium, looking daggers.

Gaius thinks about what Katherine has said and decides it makes sense.

No comments: