Tuesday, May 21, 2013

In The Gleaming Dubai Airport

In the gleaming Dubai airport, at the baggage carousel, they say goodbye to the Twitcher and Doctor Moussalli.

Bye bye, Twitcher, says Bunny. Arthur and I'll see you in Kas next week. You have fun in Dubai.

How can I? says the Twitcher. I'm being delayed through no fault of my own.

Hardly, says Bunny. You did eat those two snails.

Not a fault in a cuttlefish, says Twitcher. And where is my brother? Is he coming too?

No he isn't, says Doctor Moussalli. I can't turn up at the Dubai Aquarium with a common lobster in tow. Good bye all. It was a pleasure to meet you, Katherine. And the two little stones. Arthur, you too. And Mr Secundus, an honour to meet you. Goodbye.

He trundles off with his luggage, the Twitcher in his portable saltwater aquarium, and his three remaining Australian snails.

He does not notice he is being trailed by a common lobster, in a red knitted hat.

Right, says Gaius. Now for Istanbul. We get closer to the Gate of Hell. I don't mind telling you I am quite excited.

Let's get a coffee, says Katherine. And look at the shops. We have an hour. Coming Bunny? Lavender?

Katherine, Bunny and Lavender go off.

Arthur, says Gaius, now that the ladies have left us, we can speak frankly.

Yes, says Arthur. We can. What about?

You know very well, says Gaius.

No, what? says Arthur, baffled. Can Gaius be wanting a loan?

This Bunny, says Gaius. Has she a hold over you? I cannot imagine you prefer to go to a Turkish seaside resort to laze in the sun, eating, drinking and swimming with HER, rather than come to the dig at Hieropolis to explore the Gate of Hell and its mephitic vapours with me and Baby Pierre, UNLESS....

She has my money, says Arthur.

What money? says Gaius. You have never had money. Money, indeed!

Nevertheless, says Arthur. Bunny has money, earned from something I wrote. So I'm sticking with her.

Suit yourself then, says Gaius. You'll be bored.

Katherine, Bunny and Lavender return, carrying packages.

Tch! says Gaius. Well, shall we go to our gate?

Where's Baby Pierre? says Lavender.

Here, says Baby Pierre. I stayed with Gaius, in case I was needed.

Good man, says Gaius. You'll be needed.

They go to the gate, to board the plane for Istanbul, not one of them pausing to ask: What has happened to Ageless?

No comments: