Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Implications Of Subtext

What is subtext? whispers Twitcher to Ageless.

You have asked the right person, says Ageless. I spend a great deal of time in the library. It is what you don't know.

How could I know? says the Twitcher.

Meaning? says Ageless.

I just met you, says Twitcher.

Ah, I see, says Ageless. You referred to my frequenting the library. Not what subtext is. Which is what you don't know.

It isn't, says Arthur, overhearing. That's not what subtext is. It's what is implied.

Implied, says the Twitcher. Well, what is implied in the case of me being like someone with an internal injury, when I plainly don't have one?

You might have one and not even know, says Lavender.

That is true, agrees Ageless. After all, you are mortal.

I don't like that book, says the Twitcher.

I do, says Baby Pierre. I'm in it. There's a man called Pierre who's a priest. He's an atheist and a free thinker, just like me.

You've forgotten something, says Lavender.

What? says Baby Pierre.

He can't get married, says Lavender. Even if Marie gets better.

Why not? says Baby Pierre.

I knew you'd forgotten, says Lavender. He made a vow. He can never get married.

A vow? says the Twitcher. Is that like an internal injury?

No, says Bunny. Definitely not.

It is in a way, says Arthur.

I don't want to get married, says Baby Pierre.

BUT I DO!  cries the Twitcher, becoming agitated.

Calm down brother, says Ageless. You will.



No comments: