Friday, May 17, 2013

Not Watching The In-flight Movie

Doctor Moussali is back in his seat. He begins to look on the bright side. The Giant Australian Cuttlefish is endangered. It will be quite a coup to bring one to Dubai. More prestigious no doubt than a few small Australian gastropods. Yes, he has done a good deal.

Arthur comes by with the Twitcher.

Doctor Moussalli? says Arthur.

That's me, says Doctor Moussalli. I see you've brought me the Twitcher. Thanks very much.

I just need to tell you..... says Arthur.

I already know, says Doctor Moussalli. He's a bit of a handful.

He thinks he's going to Kas, says Arthur. That's in Turkey.

I AM! pipes up the Twitcher.

Why does he think that? asks Doctor Moussalli.

Gaius told him he was, says Arthur.

But he gave him to me, says Doctor Moussalli.

Like a piece of MEAT! cries the Twitcher. Listen up! I am no one's!

Calm down, little Twitcher, says Doctor Moussalli, who has always been patient with cuttlefish.

Huh, huh, huh, breathes the Twitcher.

That's better, says Doctor Moussalli. Now listen. I hear you are quite keen on mating. You can mate in Dubai.

The Twitcher is silent, but fuming. He is not going to mate in Dubai. There is little point arguing with the doctor. He must think of a plan.

He sinks to the bottom of his portable saltwater aquarium and starts thinking of one.

Meanwhile Doctor Moussalli continues his conversation with Arthur.

That Katherine you're travelling with, says Doctor Moussalli. Why is she reading to stones?

They think it's a book about clouds, says Arthur.

The stones do? says Doctor Moussalli.

Yes, and it isn't, says Arthur.

Doctor Moussalli tries another subject.

And that Gaius is an interesting character, he says.

Yes, agrees Arthur. His full name is Gaius Plinius Secundus. He's a well known authority on everything. At least that's what he thinks.

And you? says Doctor Moussalli, faintly.

Arthur Rimbaud, says Arthur. Poet. And the girl sitting next to me with the sunflower seeds in a tin, that's Bunny Moon. She has money. My money. Then there's Ageless, the lobster. Well, I'd better head back. Nice to meet you, Doctor Moussalli.

Doctor Moussalli settles back intending to watch the in-flight movie, but changes his mind.

No comments: