Sunday, May 26, 2013

Keep It For A Shroud

Halfway to Jamila's office with Farid, Ageless remembers his red knitted hat. He has left it in the aquarium with the Twitcher, and his new lady friends.

Why are you looking so grim? asks Farid. Do you not like Dubai?

I have not seen Dubai, says Ageless. Only this cursed shopping mall.

It is a very fine shopping mall, says Farid. Let me point out to you these shops here, Debenham's, and Esprit.  Very fine shops. Also we have a skating rink. Do you like skating? Look up there, the thousands of white butterflies floating above you, and here the sculptures of divers diving over a waterfall......

Brilliant, says Ageless, but I am a lobster. I do not admire sights, or go skating. Nor do I need any shopping. Wait a minute. Yes I do. Is there a shop that sells red knitted hats?

Everything can be got here, says Farid. But may I remind you that you left your red hat in the aquarium. It can easily be retrieved. Shall we go back?

Never! says Ageless. Twitcher can keep it for a shroud.

Aha, says Farid. You are thinking that he will will be dying?

Yes, says Ageless. He will be dying due to lack of self control.

Oh I think he will last a few more weeks after his mating, says Farid. He will make it to Kas.

Really? says Ageless. I don't think so. Farid, can I make a phone call?

Sure, says Farid. He hands Ageless his phone.

Ageless calls Bunny.

Bunny, says Ageless. Where are you?

In Istanbul, says Bunny. We just landed. Where are you?

I'm still in Dubai, says Ageless. At the Dubai Aquarium. I'm afraid I have some bad news. The Twitcher won't be coming to Kas.

Oh well, says Bunny. That's okay. Arthur and I will just have a super awesome holiday without him.

I thought you'd be sorry, says Ageless.

Why? asks Bunny. It's not like he's dying.

It is, says Ageless. But the reason I'm calling....

He is talking to silence.

Bunny has cut off the call.


No comments: