Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Let Us Say He Is Learning A Lesson

What are you doing here, brother? asks Ageless.

I escaped, says the Twitcher. Thanks to the hat.

I didn't leave it on purpose, says Ageless. You were going to sleep.

I threw up. Now I'm hungry, says the Twitcher, eyeing the snails.

The terrified snails begin crawling up the right sock of Doctor Moussalli, who is just commencing his dinner.

What's this? says Doctor Moussalli.

It is difficult to look at your sock while the dinner tray is down, and laden with dinner.

He twists sideways and bends his head down under the edge of the tray. He flicks at his tickling sock.

Crack! Squish!

My snails! says Doctor Moussalli. And a lobster! And a red hat! Flight attendant!

The flight attendant comes over.

May I help you, sir? she says.

Yes, says Doctor Moussalli. Will you hold up my dinner tray for me? I need to pick up a few things.

The flight attendant hides her annoyance and lifts up the tray.

Hello again, says Ageless, who is now clearly visible.

Hello, says the flight attendant. What are you doing here? Oh, and there's your red hat.

She cannot bend over to pick up the hat, because she is holding the dinner.

Doctor Moussalli picks up the hat.

He feels the Twitcher inside.

Good heavens! The cuttlefish! says Doctor Moussalli. It's out of its portable saltwater aquarium. And look, here are three of my snails. Where's the other one? Oh no, I've cracked it!

I'll have that one, says the Twitcher, swallowing the snail that Doctor Moussalli has cracked.

All's well that ends well, says Ageless. Now I shall take my brother back to our seat.

Wait, says Doctor Moussalli. Won't he need water? Is his aquarium still in the sick bay?

He's alright, says Ageless. He has my red hat.

But I don't think....a red hat...... says Doctor Moussalli.

Let us say he is learning a lesson, says Ageless.

He skitters off, hauling the Twitcher.

Doctor Moussalli decides that as soon as he's finished his dinner he will visit the cuttlefish party, and ....what was that old woman's name, who he met in the sick bay...? Katherine, yes, he'll visit her.


No comments: