Monday, May 20, 2013

The Wisdom Of Inclusion

Right, says Bunny. So this is the plan. Doctor Moussalli will loan the Twitcher to the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo for a week. Then he'll send him to Kas, where Arthur and I will be waiting.

Send him? says Katherine.

By courier, says Bunny. Paid for by me.

Arthur's eyebrows knit slightly, at this.

Well, how lovely, says Katherine. You have sorted things out nicely Bunny. You have a talent for it, I see.

Wait, says Gaius. What's this about Arthur?. Why isn't he coming with me? Arthur? What do you say?

I'm going with Bunny, says Arthur. And Bunny knows why.

Never mind, Gaius, says Katherine. You have me. And Lavender has her wits about her. We shall be your assistants. As long as I don't have to walk far....

Gaius looks thunderous. An old girl with bad feet, and a fossil!

Baby Pierre has just woken up. Has he missed something? Mrs Hume did not mention his name.

And me? says Baby Pierre. I'll probably be the most useful.

You will, as a matter of fact, says Gaius. I need you at the Gate of Hell, more than any of the others.

Baby Pierre just knew it! He is needed more than any of the others.

He nudges Lavender awake.

Are we there yet? says Lavender?

You aren't needed, says Baby Pierre.

What for? says Lavender. What for aren't I needed?

Arthur is about to correct her, but can't think quite how he will do it.

I don't know yet, says Baby Pierre importantly.

And what for am I needed? says a scratchy voice under the seating. It is Ageless.

He has waited in vain to hear what his role is. Also he is playing with grammar.

Ageless, says Bunny. You're not really needed. You can do what you like.

Ageless huffs. He knows he can do what he likes. Pinch Bunny's ankle, for instance.

He examines his options.

He is still examining his options when the cabin crew are told to be seated for landing.

Yes, at last they have got to Dubai!


No comments: