Sunday, May 17, 2009

Greater Escapes

Crawling towards me over the surface of the wooden table was a little winged insect, spotted white and brown like a borlotti bean. As insects go it was cute, but it filled me with horror......

Because it was an escapee from last Thursday, when I tried to make bean soup.

Last Thursday a bag of Gaganis Brothers Mixed Dried Beans was sitting on the pantry shelf. I picked it up. There were 6 dead insects and 2 half alive ones underneath. I inspected the beans in their clear plastic bag. There were dozens more insects inside, and all alive as could be. The more I looked the more there were. It was horrible.

Furious with Foodland for selling me such an infested product I sealed the bag of beans tightly inside another plastic bag. I would take it back in the afternoon.

At lunchtime we were eating bean soup, made with different beans. A little insect crawled across the table. It was one of them. I killed it with my thumb.

Yesterday was 3 whole days after that. And yet here was another of the bean insects crawling towards me over the scene of the demise of its relative.

Are we never to see the end of these borlotti bugs?

No comments: