Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Moussaka Syllogism

Why moussaka? asked Pliny the Elder.

Well, Greeks like moussaka, Aristotle is a Greek, therefore Aristotle likes moussaka, I replied.

I see you are practicing your syllogisms, said Pliny. But there are one or two complications you have not taken into account in your reasoning. One, that Greeks in Aristotle's time knew nothing of moussaka. It was only after the eggplant was introduced into Greece by the Arabs in the thirteenth century that moussaka became a popular dish.

Gosh! How do you know that, Pliny? I asked admiringly. Moussaka must have been unknown in your time too.

Google, said Pliny. I looked it up because I didn't know what it was. This brings me to complication number two.

What is that? I asked.

The main ingredient in moussaka is minced lamb, he said.

And so?

Aristotle is a vegetarian.

You don't say. Well, never mind, I can make a vegetarian version. Eggplant, tomato, zucchini, bechamel sauce and grated cheese on the top. He'll love it.

Mmm. Am I having it too?

Yes, we're all going to have it.

Then would you mind leaving out the tomato?

No comments: