Monday, May 18, 2009

Ashes of Cat

What have we here? asked Pliny the Elder, peering into an upturned glass in the kitchen.

Another of those wretched bugs, I said. He was wandering past my breakfast. I captured him.

Why didn't you just kill him with your thumb? asked Pliny.

I wanted to get a proper look at him, I replied. He seems to be a small type of beetle. Apparently they are quite commonly found amongst grains and beans. Now I'm going to have to seriously inspect the shelves, and throw out lots of stuff.

Perhaps I can help you, said Pliny.

Yes, you can. Get me something to stand on.

He looked offended.

I didn't mean that, he said stiffly. I meant, I know several effective ways to keep weevils and other pests away from stored foodstuffs.

What are they? I asked. I hope they aren't disgusting.

That depends, said Pliny. You may think so. But you want to get rid of the beetles, do you not?

Go on.

You must first capture a toad. Then you must attach it to the door of the pantry by one of its longer legs. This is guaranteed to frighten pests away.

Pliny, that would frighten anyone away. Is there anything a little less confronting?

Hah! I thought you would baulk at that! There is another method. Dress the beans with ashes of a cat, or weasel.

But, Pliny, how do you obtain the ashes of a cat or a weasel by gentle means?

By the Gods! Try these then. Vinegar, salty fish, or an unbaked brick soaked in water.

Thanks Pliny, I think I'm going to try the brick.

No comments: