Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Good Thoughts

What constitutes a Good Thought, Zoroaster ? Good Words and Good Deeds are easy to define. But a Good Thought is a less obvious thing.

Having examined most of my thoughts from yesterday and today, I have to conclude that most of mine are neither Good nor Bad. Here are some random examples. " This is the first time I have ever seen a peanut butter making machine" ; " I am not going to eat this Dragonboat Dumpling"; "I'll just knit one more stripe".

But, determined to discover a Good one, I thought back to the very first thought I had on waking, which I concluded was Good on every level.

I had been dreaming text. I remembered that the last words I dreamed were: THE MOTHER'S LEGS HELPED BY ANOTHER'S FEET. This is, when you examine it, an amazing thought. Why I dreamed it I have no idea. This gives the thought the first attribute of Goodness, which is Inexplicability.

The second attribute of Goodness is Morality. This thought is about helping someone. No one would dispute that this is a Good Thing.

The third attribute of Goodness is Ambiguity. Is someone helping their mother by running an errand for her? Is mother having someone else's feet transplanted onto her legs?

The fourth attribute of Goodness is Internal Rhyming. one cannot help but notice that Mother rhymes with another. This gives a pleasing sound to the thought.

The fifth attribute of Goodness is Unusual Focus. This thought captures our imagination by keeping all the action below waist level, but not of course in a crude way.

The sixth attribute of Goodness is perhaps the most debatable. The attribute of Not Really Being a Proper Sentence. Personally, I like that in an attribute.


No comments: