Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Penelope's Dilemma

This jumper's not for me, it's for World Vision and will go to someone young.
I'm using cheap brown wool, and when I knit I feel a prickling sensation on my tongue.

What it is I don't know, I suppose it's lots of little bits of floating woolly fluff.
It isn't just my tongue, my mouth and lips are both affected by this irritating stuff.

The wool is 100 per cent Australian, but it says Made in China on the label.
I didn't think they could do that but it does seem that they are definitely able.

So now I've made this jumper which might seriously aggravate some child,
Although I have to say that I consider my own symptoms to be quite mild.

On the other hand I'm a grownup and this jumper is for a 2 year old little kid.
I'd hate to think the poor child will be suffering because of something that I did.

But now it's knitted up and all the ends darned in it's probably become somewhat inert.
It looks so cute as well, and feels so warm, I'm going to send it, surely it won't hurt.

What would Socrates do? He'd pose a pertinent question to me in a semi-jocular tone.
Penelope, ( he would call me ), would you put this jumper on a child that was your own?

And I, noble Penelope, would have to admit that no, I probably wouldn't do it,
Unless I got it dry cleaned first.

But I am not Penelope, so screw it.

No comments: