Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cat and Crab on the Beach

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Pablo Picasso.

Oh, come in! Pliny and I were just wondering about your Cat and Crab on the Beach painting, which is blue.

What were you wondering, my friends?

Pliny has made a study of your Blue Period yet he doesn't remember seeing this one.

Aha! That is because I painted it long after my Blue Period which was from 1900 to 1904. In fact I painted Cat and Crab on the Beach in 1965.

Then why did you paint it in various shades of blue?

Oh, it was 1965. I was into post modernism. Referencing my own Blue Period. For fun, you know.

I see. Well it's a very fine painting, I think.

Do you? Muchas gracias. Tell me why you like it.

I like the way the shapes of the crab, the shells and the rocks mirror one another, I like how the crab's claw and the cat's tail are in balance. I like how they are eyeballing one another. And I like the fact that it's blue. I like how you've painted the crab's antennules, too.

I have? What in heaven's name are those?

Its smelling organs.

Glad you noticed, my dear. Glad you noticed. Where did you see my painting, by the way? I didn't think it was all that well known today.

Oh, I found it through google on a site called Cat Lovers Gift Guide.

Cat Lovers Gift Guide! My painting! Ay Caramba!

Don't worry, they were only selling it as a poster. Pliny was almost going to buy one.

Dios! What stopped him?

He's not a Cat Lover.

No comments: