Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pliny's Holiday

I, Gaius Plinius Secundus, having returned from a two-day sojourn on the far-off coast of Yorke Peninsula, have these tales to tell.

I and my two companions drove in a car out of the city precincts following a long straight road to the top of the Gulf known as St Vincent. On the way we saw many wonders. The Palms of Cavan, an oasis of giant palm trees. Rows of white salt heaps reflected upside down in a lake of blue. An untended Cactus Garden. A field of metal creatures, a man, a metal beetle and a mouse. Dilapidated glasshouses, empty but for dried-out sagging weeds. Vast tracts of sand and rusty saltbush.

At Port Wakefield we walked through a deserted town, where it was very hot and the trees afforded no satisfactory shade, and there were horseflies.

At Moonta we looked for food. We found a small shop that served Cornish pasties, on blue and white striped plates. Here we found evidence of the famed Copper Triangle, for the knives and forks were tipped with copper balls.

Next we left Moonta for Moonta Bay. I spied a sign on a fence which read 'General Contractor'. I would have liked to stop and speak with a military man, but my companions were anxious to continue to the coast.

We arrived at Moonta Bay. The tide was out as far as the eye could see. There were white sand banks and pools of pale blue sea water, red and yellow rocks, and a fine long curving jetty. While my companions walked out on the jetty, I examined the rocks on the shore for traces of copper, which I found, and when my companions returned, they assured me that the deep sea's hue was a mottled coppery green.

Thence to the Moonta Bay Cabin Park, where our cabin had been left unlocked for our arrival. Indeed, there was no one there to welcome us, other than a large brown hopping creature that my companions informed me was a kangaroo. I should have liked to get a closer look at this kangaroo, but my companions wishing to go for a walk along the beach, I was obliged to put on a hat and some white sun-deterring cream and join them.

It was most pleasant on the beach at Moonta Bay. The sun was warm and mild, and the breeze was gentle. The coppery cliffs reflected in the coppery sheeny flat pools of water in between the sand banks. A man with two dogs of differing sizes speared a blue and white umbrella into one of the sandbanks and sat under it with water lapping all around.

I pottered on the shore looking for copper traces, and marvelling at the floating seagrass that was straight and flat, yet cast shadows that were polypy and curved, and edged with light.

My companions meanwhile walked towards Port Hughes. I did not accompany them, but one of them later told me that she had sat down upon some grass under a pine tree there, and been attacked by biting midges, on hearing which I suppressed a smile.

Of many more wonders I have yet to tell , but fearing lest I induce tedium, I shall leave them for tomorrow.

Vale!
Gaius Plinius Secundus.

No comments: