Saturday, January 23, 2010

Adelaide Street Circuit

Who wants to do the Adelaide Street Circuit anyway? sighed Jean Paul Sartre, swallowing the last piece of the snapper which The VeloDrone had cycled into Willunga earlier to buy. It's so pleasant and peaceful here.

Is it? snapped The VeloDrone. Tell me again, Jean Paul, why is it that an existentialist always carries string?

Ah! dear fellow, an existentialist is the practical type, pragmatic, always ready to change tack at the drop of a hat. Unlike your own philosophy, which is that all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

The VeloDrone looked like thunder. What? he cried, you have misunderstood my book Candide! That is the foolish philosophy of Docter Pangloss! My own philosophy is that everyone should stay at home and mind his own business!

Advice you fail to take, evidently, interjected Freud, with a snapper-rich smirk.

Ingrates! shouted the VeloDrone. Who was it cycled all the way into Willunga this morning so you could have fish for breakfast?

Yes, calm down, gentlemen, please, said Le Bon David. We all have reason to be grateful to The VeloDrone. And perhaps we would have all been better off to have remained at home. But I for one am pleased to have come to the Tour Down Under. In spite of everything, I feel I have learned a lot. For example, about the limited usefulness of string.

I can think of a good use for it, muttered The VeloDrone. But, of course, we ought to count our blessings. In Willunga this morning I discovered a most excellent cheese shop called The Blessed Cheese.

Oh I don't suppose you brought any back with you? asked Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Because has anybody thought what we are going to do for lunch?

No comments: