Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Crab Nose Mystery.

Pliny thinks he has come up with the answer to the crab nose mystery.

In the case of the crab, he says, it seems there is a nose, and then there is a nose.

What do you mean? I ask, confused.

I mean, he says, that there is the sensory appendage, or smelling organ, located in the antennules, and then there is the rostrum, or pointy end of the carapace, which is also referrred to as the crab's nose.

Well, well, I say. That explains the Longnose and the Sharpnose Crab. Whoever would have thought crabs had two noses ?

Three noses, says Pliny. Two antennules and a rostrum. I must make a note of that for future reference.

Do you suppose it might turn out to be a useful piece of knowledge?

It is always useful to clear up a confusion.

So it is. By the way Pliny, remember how I said that my crab looked like something by Picasso?

I do. And I said I only knew Picasso's Blue Period.

You did. Now take a look at this. It's by Picasso, and entitled Cat and Crab on the Beach.

Good heavens! It's painted all in different shades of blue! But I've never set eyes on it before!

Do you suppose we have another mystery?

No comments: