Thursday, January 28, 2010

Moonta Bay

What's this? says Pliny the Elder, looking at his Facebook. You didn't tell me you were going to Moonta Bay.

I was going to tell you, I said.

When? he asked.

About now, I said. We're going to Moonta Bay for the weekend. We're staying in a cabin.

By we, you don't mean me, I suppose, said Pliny, looking sorrowful.

Oh Pliny, you do look sorrowful. Would you like to come?

I do not know. Where is this Moonta Bay?

It's north up St Vincents Gulf to Port Wakefield then across Yorke Peninsula to Kadina then down to Moonta on the Spencer Gulf, I said. At least I think so. I get my gulfs mixed up, I added, unhelpfully.

How far away is it? asked Pliny, who was looking just a little bit too interested.

Two to three hours drive, I said, through very boring countryside.

And what is there? asked Pliny, not seeming at all put off.

Not a lot, I said. The Copper Triangle. Old abandoned mines, a jetty, and a windy coast. Impenetrable scrub.

Well, said Pliny, if you both don't mind, I'll come!

No comments: