Friday, January 8, 2010

Dora Maar au Chat

Whereas I, said Pablo thoughtfully, am a well-known cat lover. I gave a cat to Dora Maar. I painted her with it. In the painting the cat sits on her shoulder. Her nails were long and pointed.

The cat's?

Dora's. She liked cats. She liked dogs better. Your Pliny, he doesn't like cats?

He isn't a Cat Lover.

Pliny pricked up his ears, and came over.

It is not the case that I do not like cats. I neither like them nor dislike them. Large cats are associated with violence and lust. Small cats too are associated with violence and lust, but naturally on a smaller scale.

Yes, yes! cried Picasso. I fully agree! I associate cats with women, their feminine wiles, their sexual aggression. That was why I painted Dora with a cat, and not with her stupid dog. Of course the dog by then had died, that was another reason. But there was no way I was going to give her another dog. O Pablo Pablo! she would have said. Paint me with my little dog! And I would have had to do it. But how could I have placed it on her shoulder?

I didn't think you had a problem with strange juxtapositions, said Pliny. However I understand what you are saying about women.

No you don't, I said, interrupting, and anyway I thought we were talking about cats.

My apologies, said Pliny, turning once again to Picasso. We were indeed talking about cats, and art. I myself have particularly admired a wonderfully fashioned mosaic of a cat with a bird, to be found at Pompeii.

I know it well, said Pablo. In fact my Wounded Bird and Cat painting from 1938 is based on that tradition.

Oh is it? said Pliny. That is most interesting. I should like to see your Wounded Bird and Cat.

I'm sure that you could google it, said Pablo, looking gratified.

No comments: