Saturday, March 29, 2014

Fair Seas And A Following Wind

Arthur has almost reached the Slitti Cafe when he hears a scraping sound behind him.

He turns, and sees Admiral de Guichen on the pavement.

You! says Arthur. I thought you were expiring in the Ute.

How do you know it's me? says Admiral de Guichen.

The missing leg, says Arthur.

Admiral de Guichen didn't know he had a missing leg. This must be something recent.

They continue walking.

What's that? asks Admiral de Guichen, pointing to the jug of sangria.

Jug, says Arthur. I couldn't find a bucket.

I won't be getting in it! says Admiral de Guichen.

Suit yourself, says Arthur. It's half full of sangria.

Sangria? says Admiral de Guichen. Perhaps I was too hasty.....

Arthur! calls Gaius. Hurry up! We're going!

I haven't had my lunch, says Arthur.

Too late now, says Schopenhauer. You will have to eat the lobster.

No one eats Admiral de Guichen, says Admiral de Guichen.

Admiral! says Schopenhauer. My apologies. What's  happened to your leg?

Old sea injury, says Admiral de Guichen.

..........

The Ute speeds on to Warrnambool, and through. Next stop Lorne.

Schopenhauer is driving, with Ray beside him in the cabin.

Arthur, Gaius and Admiral de Guichen are in the back, drinking sangria, simply to make room in the jug.

What's a following wind? asks Admiral de Guichen.

A wind that blows the same way that the waves are going, says Arthur.

I was wished one today by Captain Wishart, says Admiral de Guichen.

Useless in the back of a Ute, says Arthur. He must have thought you would be sailing.

An innocent mistake, says Admiral de Guichen. But I've really lost a leg. I wish Captain Wishart had wished I'd get my leg back.

You'll grow a new one, says Arthur.

Gaius is looking idly at the Coastal Leader, the newspaper the Admiral had been wrapped in.

There is a piece of broken leg stuck to the Classifieds.

He looks appraisingly at Admiral de Guichen.

Is that my leg? says Admiral de Guichen.


No comments: