Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Philosophy Of Vision And Colours

Returning from their viewing of the Bunyip, Ray and Gaius are pleased to see that Schopenhauer looks better.

You look much better, says Gaius.

I feel better, says Schopenhauer. Although I remind myself that life is best viewed as a terminal illness.

Nonsense, says Gaius. Life is best experienced in short episodes. And now, we should get going. Are you travelling in the back or in the front?

I shall ride in the back with Arthur, says Schopenhauer. The fresh air will do me good.

( And also, Arthur has the chocolates ).

Well, keep your heads down, says Ray.

So, they drive off.

Where are we going? asks Gaius, in the cabin.

Mount Gambier, says Ray. We can stop off and look at the Blue Lake.

I'd rather not says Gaius. It brings back bad memories.

Schopenhauer would enjoy it, says Ray. And so would Arthur.

Let's ask them, says Gaius. He turns around and taps on the back window.

Arthur's head appears, then Schopenhauer's.

Ha ha! says Gaius. You should see Schopenhauer. His hair looks like two tangled marine sponges.

That'll be the wind, says Ray.

Gaius mouths his question.

Blue Lake?

What's he asking? says Schopenhauer.

Blue something, says Arthur. Blue lay?

Why would he ask that? says Schopenhauer. Blue lay, blue lay, blue lay?

That's good says Arthur. Are you a poet?

No, says Schopenhauer. but I respect the arts. I see artistic contemplation as a temporary escape from the act of willing.

I'm always willing, says Arthur. And I'm a poet.

And I knew Goethe, says Schopenhauer. He was a poet.

Goethe! says Arthur. That's impressive.

Yes, says Schopenhauer. I met him at one of mother's intellectual afternoons. He congratulated me on an essay that I'd written. At the time we were both interested in vision and colours.

Me too, says Arthur. I wrote a poem once called Vowels. I gave each vowel a colour.

My goodness! Had you been drinking? says Schopenhauer.

Yes, says Arthur. Blue was O.

Ha ha, laughs Schopenhauer. Blue was O. That would have discombobulated Goethe!

In the cabin, Gaius has given up trying to get an answer.

I don't think they can hear me, says Gaius. In fact they're not even trying.....but they seem to be getting on very well.

No Blue Lake then? says Ray. We could stop off at Robe. You'd like that.

Gaius is not listening. He is still looking through the back window.

Why didn't Arthur tell him he had chocolates?


No comments: