Sunday, March 2, 2014

What Would You Save If Your House Was On Fire?

That's to pee in! says the nurse, coming over to Gaius's bed. What are you doing?

I think he's delirious, says Belle.

I am not delirious, says Gaius. I am producing saliva. A jar would have been more appropriate. I asked for a jar.

I did ask for a jar, says Belle quickly.

We don't give out jars, says the nurse. If you need to spit, I'll get you a wipe.

Gaius leans back on his pillow.

I don't understand modern medicine, he sighs. Or modern policing, he adds.

The nurse tries to look sympathetic.

..........

Belle's phone rings. It's Sweezus.

Hi Belle, says Sweezus. I'm back.

Sweezie! cries Belle. Where are you? In the office?

Yeah, says Sweezus. Arthur and me, we ran out of money.

Oh good! says Belle. I mean, well, you know, not all bad......

Yeah, says Sweezus. Oh and hey! How's Gaius doing?

Terrible, says Belle. His knee's like a football.

Epic! says Sweezus. Maybe I'll come over.

Yes, come, says Belle. I'll be here. And Gaius isn't going anywhere.

.......

Twenty minutes later Sweezus appears in Ward 5, in his Bender Mash Beach Shorts.

Oh wow! says Belle.

Several nurses look sideways at Sweezus approvingly.

Sweezus affects not to notice. He approaches the bed in which Gaius is regretting modern medicine.

Sweezus! says Gaius. Is Arthur with you?

Nup, says Sweezus. He's helping the snakes spend their money. Last seen eating Duck Papardelle.

Their money! snorts Gaius. THEIR money! That is my money for Tasmania.

My money too! croaks a voice from the bed alongside.

.........

Arthur has finished the Duck.

The snakes watch him put the fork down.

What would you save if your house was on fire? asks Charles Red-belly.

The fire, says Arthur.


No comments: