Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Universe At Bottom

Katherine is about to get out of the Ute, when Ray remembers something.

Who's got our busking money? says Ray.

Last I heard, Arthur had it, says Katherine.

And where is Arthur now? asks Ray.

That is the question of the hour, says Gaius.

I'll ask Sweezus, says Katherine. He'll be at the lunch I'm going to.

Perhaps we could join you? suggests Gaius. I am feeling peckish.

No, says Katherine. This is a special business lunch. David and Vello are entertaining Schopenhauer. They hope to persuade him to write something for the magazine.

Which Schopenhauer is this? asks Ray. The one that put the cat inside the box?

No, that was Schroedinger, says Katherine. Another dreadful man.

She goes inside, leaving Ray and Gaius none the wiser.

.........

Inside the office of Velosophy, the meeting with Herr Schopenhauer is going well.

Vello: So it's agreed. You will write something.

Herr Schopenhauer: I will.

David: Excellent. Let's go to lunch now.

Sweezus: Shouldn't we wait for Katherine?

Herr Schopenhauer: Katherine?

David: My mother.

Herr Schopenhauer: My mother was a woman.....

Vello: So was mine. Where is this leading?

Katherine enters.

Herr Schopenhauer: Madam!

David : Mother, this is Herr Schopenhauer.

Herr Schopenhauer: You may call me Arthur.

Sweezus: Arthur?

Herr Schopenhauer: My father named me Arthur. He had his reasons.

Katherine: And what were they?

Herr Schopenhauer: He wanted me to enter the family business.

Sweezus: Awesome! But why Arthur?

Herr Schopenhauer: Because it is the same in German, French and English.

Sweezus: Wicked! I wish my name was the same in German, French and English.

Herr Schopenhauer: What is your name again?

Sweezus: Sweezus

Herr Schopenhauer: Every day I am reminded that at bottom the universe is not rational. Thank goodness for the dominance of the Will.

Vello: Yes. Thank goodness. Very amusing. Let's go to lunch now.

Herr Schopenhauer: Is this lady coming?

Katherine: Of course I'm coming. Anyone would think you didn't like women

Herr Schopenhauer: I like them well enough, but women are not to be trusted. It is in their nature to be deceitful.

Sweezus: You're kidding, right? You don't know Katherine.

Katherine: Thank you dear.

Sweezus: She's the Mother of Dragons.

Katherine: Oh I wouldn't go that far.

Herr Schopenhauer (darkly): Just like my mother.....

David: Well then. Shall we GO?

They walk out of the office, down the stairs and to the footpath, where Gaius and Ray are waiting.

The universe may not be rational, but it is good at timing.

No comments: