Thursday, June 25, 2015

If I'm Allowed

Arne's place. Arne takes out his nijntjes.

Oh my! says Belle. What a collection!

I have all the first editions, says Arne.

This may be a good place to explain that 'nijntje' is the original name of Miffy, the little white rabbit, and that dick bruna didn't use capitals.

I love the Miffy books! says Belle. I adore them.

Look at this one, says Arne. It's just come out for the 60th anniversary. 'nijntje op de fiets'.

Miffy rides her bicycle! says Belle. How gorgeous. But it's not new. I had it.

It's in Utrecht dialect, says Arne. Dick Bruna lived here. That's why it's special.

Belle leafs through 'nijntje op de fiets'.

'laoter as'k groat ben, dach nijntje op eên dâg, goatik a fietstoch maoke, k'hoop da da dan mâg.

Translate it for me, says Belle.

Arne reads: When I grow up, Miffy thought, I know what I would like. If I'm allowed, I will go for a ride on my bike.

If I'm allowed, says Belle. I love that. I must buy a copy for Terence.

A nephew? asks Arne.

No, not a nephew. An infant I'm temporarily in charge of.

Bravo, says Arne. Have you taken the infant yet to see dick bruna hius?

No, says Belle. We just got here.

It's closed, says Arne. But it will  reopen in December, as the most delightful childrens' museum. But the Centraal Museum is showing a super cool Miffy exhibition. We could go there.

We could, but not right now, says Belle. Later.

Maybe tomorrow, says Arne.

This all sounds promising.

..........

Terence is in the supermarket with Corny, who is spending too long in the vegetable section.

Terence is bored.

He stamps off (quietly) to look for the party section.

He finds it, at the end of aisle five.

Terence pockets a packet of balloons.

Its not stealing, he reasons, because balloons are just AIR!

But now Terence does something which is actually stealing.

Next to the party balloons and favours are the cake decorations and sandwich sprinkles.

O yum! Hagelslag! Chocolate hail.

Terence pockets this also.


No comments: