Friday, March 18, 2016

A Prediction A Prize And Three Questions

Next morning at the Sealink Ferry Terminal.

A small crowd has gathered to see off the famous visitors.

Louise has brought her trumpet.

Irene is there looking sour.

Mayor Clements is far too busy to turn up this morning.

The ferry sails, to the sounds of a lonely calypso.

On the ferry, port side:

Vello: That was very successful.

Gaius: Agreed.

Vello: They all loved Terence.

Gaius: He was amusing.

Vello: Have you seen his new costume?

Gaius: Yes, a gift from Louise. Will you keep him in it?

Vello: The costume? Just try and get him out of it.

Gaius: I meant the play. You have two sell-out shows this weekend.

Vello: Yes, I'll keep him in it. But I don't think he'll like how it ends.

Gaius: Remind me.

Vello: With an essay, a formula and a prediction.

Gaius: Goodness!

Vello: And a prize.

Gaius: He'll like that.

Vello: He won't get it.

........

Meanwhile, to starboard:

Sweezus: And then he said, I sometimes live with my dad.

Arthur: He doesn't have one.

Sweezus: I know. Maybe he's, like .....

Arthur: Lying.

Sweezus: Wish-fulfilling.

Arthur: Remember when he ran up to you?

Sweezus: No.

Arthur: After he lost his towel, the first one, with the blood on?

Sweezus: So he ran up to me. What are you saying? He thinks I'm his dad?

Arthur: Who knows what he's thinking?

Sweezus: I'm not asking him. Why don't you ask him?

Arthur: Okay.

........

Meanwhile, at the bow:

Ssü-K'ung Shu: Are you happy, little Bright Red Object?

Terence: Yes. I have two noses.

Ssü-K'ung Shu: If that brings happiness, no one is happy.

Terence: I am.

Ssü-K'ung Shu: Apart from you. What do you think I should do now?

Terence: Stand up on the railing.

Ssü-K'ung Shu: I meant, should I go back to China?

Terence: How far is it?

Ssü-K'ung Shu: Or should I stay?

Terence: Look at me. I'm flying!

Ssü-K'ung Shu: Careful! Oh no!

Arthur (coming up behind him): What's up? Where's Terence?

Ssü-'K'ung Shu: He's fallen in! That's him down there! The Bright Red Object!

Arthur: Just like in the play. Is he swimming?

Terence: I haven't!

Ssü-K'ung Shu: What a fright you gave us. What's that down there then?

Arthur ( leaning over the railing ): That's his new costume.

Terence: Wah! I lost it!

Arthur: Calm down. I want to ask you a question.

Terence: And I want to ask YOU a question!

Ssü-K'ung Shu: I too have a question.


No comments: