Sunday, March 20, 2016

Do I Do Science?

Hi, says Louise. She waves the red towel at Terence.

My costume! cries Terence.

Don't you want to know how it got here? asks Louise.

No, says Terence. I already know. It was grandpa.

Ha ha! laughs Vello. And how did he do it?

Grandpa, says Terence, can do ANYTHING.

Louise is understandably miffed by this answer.

It was ME that found it, says Louise. And it was ME that hopped on the next ferry.

That was very kind of you, Louise, says Gaius.

I know, says Louise. And I don't take kindly to not being given the credit.

Terence doesn't know what that means.

Sweezus does.

He kicks Terence.

What? says Terence.

Say thanks to Louise, says Sweezus. She'll think you're ungrateful.

Terence runs over to Louise's knees and wraps his cement arms around them.

Ouch, says Louise. Is that a thank you? It's not good enough. Admit that it wasn't your grandpa.

No, says Terence. Because he made you do it.

Rubbish, says Louise. No one made me do it. Who's your grandpa?

Karl Marx, says Sweezus. He thinks. Long story.

I've heard of him, says Louise. Isn't he a communist?

No, says Terence. He's old.

Come on! calls Midge, from the camper van. Who's coming? Anyone else need a lift?

We all do, says Vello. We've a play to put on this evening.

Okay, says Midge. There's plenty of room. Hop in.

We've got bikes as well, says Vello.

No worries, says Midge. Pile 'em on top. Let's get going.

They wave goodbye to Louise. Midge pulls out onto the road.

Good holiday? asks Midge. Good surfing?

Wicked, says Sweezus. And we went wreck diving. And we saw heaps of sharks. Some guy called Dazza got eaten. Could have been us, easy.

Got plans for Easter? asks Midge.

Yes, says Arthur. We're going camping.

Me too, says Terence, wriggling.

Stop wriggling, says Gaius. That towel is wet.

Whereabouts? asks Midge.

We don't know yet, says Arthur.

I know a really cool place says Midge. It's in the Clare Valley. It's like a music festival and you camp there. You guys could come with me and Barbs if you want.

Okay, says Sweezus. I'll see if Belle wants to.

Shu is looking uncomfortable. He is wedged next to Terence and Terence is wet.

You don't have to wear it, says Shu. Take it off. It will dry sooner.

I'm a red sheep, says Terence. I can't take it off.

He's getting in character, says Vello. Good job, Terence.

Does he have lines? asks Shu. I could help him learn them.

No lines, says Vello. He gets rescued. Then Candide has to leave him behind in Bordeaux, at the Academy of Science.

Do I do science? asks Terence.

No. You become the subject of an essay on why your fleece is red, says Vello.

That seems fairly important. Terence is satisfied with this answer for a moment.



No comments: