Monday, March 14, 2016

Redness Potential

Terence is dropped off first.

Terence, says Gaius. I have something to tell you.

Me too, says Terence. I'm in the play. I'm the Bright Red Object. I lost my costume. But.....

Listen to me, says Gaius. Dr Yu Liu came by.

Terence is heading for the bathroom.

( to look for a towel )

He's leaving tomorrow on the ferry, says Gaius.

Terence is at the bathroom door.

He dropped in to pick up his specimen, says Gaius.

Terence can see a wet towel, hanging on a towel rail.

So I was obliged to hand it over, says Gaius. I hope you're not too disappointed.

Terence comes back with the towel. It's a good size. With redness potential.

What? says Terence.

Disappointed, says Gaius.

It wasn't me, says Terence.

YOU are not disappointed, says Gaius.

I know, says Terence. I can do something with it. It just needs to be redder.

Terence, says Gaius. Dr Yu Liu has gone off with your grasshopper.

WAH! wails Terence.

Shu looks up from where he has been disconsolately writing a poem.

Where the tender grasses rim the stream....

Someone is coming.

It's Sweezus.

Hi guys, says Sweezus. I got a lift back with Mayor Clements. He reckons the new golf course'll be the best thing that ever happened to ....... what's up Terence?

Saint Joseph-Grasshopper got stolen! cries Terence

Repossessed, explains Gaius. By Dr Yu Liu.

It had no legs, says Sweezus. I'm surprised he wanted it.

He wanted it for its head, says Gaius.

Shu looks gloomy.

He writes another line.

And the deep boughs trill with mango-birds......

Sweezus sits down at the table.

Mango birds, says Sweezus, That's some image.

Terence stops wailing.

Mango birds. Baby B-B! He got kidnapped as well. And the red towel. Everything is one great big bumhole!

He runs up to Sweezus.

Not now Terence, says Sweezus. Gotta write this speech for the boss.

Vello comes in, with Arthur.

Glad to see you're in one piece, says Shu.

Thank you, says Vello.

He means me, says Arthur.

Arthur has brought Shu a present.

A knife from the Rockpool Café.

Shu is delighted. He dashes another two lines off

On the spring flood of last nights rain
The ferry boat moves as though someone were poling.


No comments: