Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Overcome By Cucumbers

Irene glares at Shu, who is holding the glass jar which has shattered her windscreen.

What did you do that for? shouts Irene.

Dr Yu Liu and Gaius come running over.

Gaius examines the windscreen, which is indeed broken.

Dr Yu Liu looks inside the jar.

Good! Shu has captured the grasshopper.

I must apologise, madam, says Dr Yu Liu. Shu was following my instructions.

Terence hops out of the car.

Where's the spider? Can I see it? asks Terence.

It's not a spider, says Dr Yu Liu. It's a grasshopper.

I hope it's a valuable one, says Irene. My insurance policy with AAMI doesn't cover windscreens.

It doesn't? says Gaius, surprised.

No, it doesn't, snaps Irene. The policy is very specific.

This is a morabine grasshopper, says Dr Yu Liu, who knows a lot about grasshoppers.

Flightless? says Gaius.

Naturally, says Dr Yu Liu.

Then how did it get onto the windscreen? asks Gaius.

I know! says Terence. It was in the jar already.

No, it wasn't, says Shu. If it was in the jar already why would I smash the jar onto the windscreen?

I know! says Terence. Because of Irene. She's a......

Nonsense, says Irene hastily. The grasshopper probably dropped from a xanthorrhoea. The local grasshoppers eat xanthorrhoeas.

Sure enough, there is a xanthorrhoea nearby(ish).

May I offer you a lift back to Kingscote, Irene? asks Dr Yu Liu. I feel somehow responsible.

Irene looks dubious.

Then she says: Okay. I'll get someone to come back for the car in the morning.

Dr Yu Liu produces the Flying Pigeon, his trusty bicycle.

Irene balances on the rear carrier. It's quite comfy.

They head off towards Kingscote.

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. They forgot the grasshopper.

I'll look after it! says Terence.

He picks up the cucumber jar.

The grasshopper, overcome by the scent of pickled cucumbers, is swooning at the bottom.

It doesn't look all that different from when it isn't.

I thought you were with Arthur and Sweezus and Vello, says Gaius, half-remembering the arrangements of the morning.

I went to see a zebu with Irene, says Terence, and THEY went to look at a shipwreck. And they didn't come back. So Irene took me bird spotting, then she brought me here, and now I've got my own grasshopper.

Some days turn out better than expected.

No comments: