Saturday, March 26, 2016

Stiff In The Morning

3.30 am. The music has stopped. It's quiet in the camp site. Except for some coughing and retching.

4 am. Midge's camper creaks, the door opens and Arthur slides out. He can't sleep with those things in his pocket.

4.10 am. Terence tumbles out onto the grass.

4.11 am. Shu emerges.

Can't you sleep, either? whispers Shu.

NO! shouts Terence.

He fell out, says Arthur.

It's cold, says Shu. But it's hot in the camper.

Too many people, says Arthur. I need knee room.

I need knee room too, says Terence.

What did you think of the music? asks Shu.

Not bad, says Arthur.

It was EXCELLENT! says Terence. I was singing. I got into trouble.

So I heard, says Arthur. What were you singing?

Beard Song, says Terence.

The last verse? asks Arthur.

Yes, says Terence. The best one.

No wonder you got into trouble, says Arthur.

I didn't hear it, says Shu.

You didn't miss anything, says Arthur. Anyway, you were busy making money.

Not deliberately, says Shu.

What are you going to do with it? asks Arthur.

Pay Midge for our tickets, says Shu.

Don't do that, says Arthur. That's like giving money to Cambodia twice.

How do you mean? asks Shu.

She's already paid, says Arthur. You may as well keep it.

Little ears are listening, says Shu.

But Terence's little ears are not listening. He is humming the beard song.

So ..... you wouldn't pay her, says Shu.

I never pay for anything, says Arthur.

( a lie; he once paid for a yellow ostrich bracelet for Sweezus)

That's one of the reasons I love you, says Shu.

Have you still got that knife I gave you? asks Arthur.

Yes, says Shu. But if you're suggesting a fight, I protest. It was only a dinner knife.

SHUT UP! yells a nearby angry trying-hard-to-fall-asleep camper.

So they do not fight. They just huddle outside until morning.

.......

Morning. A horrible glaring bright country outdoors morning.

Sweezus is stiff, from trying to remain rigid in the camper while Midge, Barbs and Belle roll about unrestricted.

What a great night! says Midge, yawning and stretching. Now does anyone object if we get going immediately? I have to go to Saint Kilda.

Ugh! Saint Kilda. What for?

Photos, says Midge. It's my job, remember.

Oh yes, It's her job, remember.


No comments: