Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Nature Of Reality

Terence squats to look under the rock.

Nothing. A bird-shaped empty space, sand, water and bubbles.

A few tiny insects.

Are you looking at me? says the bird-shaped empty space.

No, says Terence. Are you a parrot?

No, says the bird-shaped empty space. I'm not a parrot.

You COULD be, says Terence.

I'm just leaving, says the bird-shaped empty space. Bye now.

Wait! says Terence. Leaving for where?

Siberia, says the bird-shaped empty space. I should have left last month, but I stayed for Mad March.

If you see a rock parrot, says Terence, tell it I'm here.

Where? asks the bird-shaped empty space.

Never mind, says Terence. I suppose you can't see me. So it wouldn't mean anything.

Are you a philosopher? asks the bird-shaped empty space.

No. Yes, says Terence. I actually am. Are you one?

I would be, says the bird-shaped empty space.

Me too, says Terence. Well, goodbye, hole.

He stands up again. Turns away.

A bird flutters up from a second rock, beyond the first one.

A red-necked stint.

On its way to Siberia.

Off it goes.

Towards the Australasian East Asian Flyway......

The red-necked stint, or would-be philosopher, tries to imagine how things might have been different.

Had he been a rock parrot.

Had the strange infant not talked to a hole.

.......

Terence splodges back to the others.

They're still eating chocolate and jam.

Terence, did you see it? cries Belle. A red-necked stint! It flew up right behind you.

Behind me? says Terence. It was in front. And it was invisible.

It was behind you says Midge. We all saw it.

It wasn't the same one, says Terence.

He sits down, next to Sweezus.

An invisible bird, says Sweezus. I could hack that.

It flew away, says Terence. What are you eating?

Jam, says Sweezus.

I'm off to look at the mangroves, says Shu. Anyone care to come with me?

Me, says Arthur.

Not me, says Sweezus. Midge said she'd let me have a go with her Nikon.

I'll come says Barbs. What about you, Terence?

Terence doesn't answer.

He is thinking about the invisible bird and the indefinable nature of reality.


No comments: