Monday, March 28, 2016

Wrecks And Tidal Perspectives

Sweezus heads off with Midge, Barbs and Belle to the tidal flats.

PARROT! shouts Terence, just as they're disappearing.

What's he shouting? asks Midge.

He wants us to look for a parrot, says Sweezus.

Are there parrots round here? asks Belle.

Rock parrots, says Midge. They're quite rare now. It'd be amazing to spot one.

Anything'll do for a parrot, says Sweezus.

What's that supposed to mean? asks Barbs.

For Terence, says Sweezus. Anything'll do for a parrot. A pigeon, a peacock, a balloon......

I'm a professional, says Midge. A balloon won't do anything for me.

Ha ha! laughs Barbs.

What does a rock parrot look like? asks Belle. I'd love to find one.

They have the least colourful plumage of any Australian parrot, says Midge. Dull brownish, olive green, yellow abdomen, slender tail, pale blue above, yellowish below.

Maybe I won't bother, says Belle.

I wouldn't, says Sweezus.

They trudge on over the samphire......

Meanwhile Terence has opted for the famous Saint Kilda Beach playground.

Arthur has taken him there.

Shu has tagged along too. He is sitting on a tyre watching them climb up the ladder to the top of the giant slide, Terence first, Arthur behind him.

Now Terence is at the top. There is already a child there.

Me first, says Terence, to the child. You're not ready.

I am ready, says the child. What's your name?

Terence, says Terence. What's yours?

Rocky, says Rocky. My dad's down the bottom. He's making a video. I have to go first.

No, says Terence. My dad's older than your dad. I have to go first.

Rocky looks at Arthur, whose head is just at the level of Terence's feet.

It's not me, says Arthur. His dad's......elsewhere.

But Rocky has spotted Terence's feet. They look like cement. So do his legs. And probably even his bottom.

You can't go down, says Rocky. You'll wreck the slide.

I won't wreck it, says Terence. Why will I? Anyway, I can if I want to.

DAD! yells Rocky. This kid wants to wreck the slide!

Rocky's dad is sick of waiting for Rocky to come down the slide for the family's Easter video.

Rocky, get down here NOW!

Terence pushes Rocky, to help him on his way.

Rocky falls over the edge of the slide, and tumbles fifteen metres to the ground, unintentionally becoming responsible for the most spectacular family Easter video ever.

His leg and shoulder are hurting, and his ankle is bleeding.

Look what he made me do, says Terence.

You could go down now, says Arthur.

I might wreck it, says Terence. And I might get into trouble.

True. Wait till Rocky's dad goes, says Arthur.

But Rocky's dad is mad. He is waiting at the bottom.

Arthur and Terence remain at the top.

While waiting, they turn seawards. What a view. Tidal flats, seaweed, rocks and a wooden pirate ship.

And beyond that, the salt marshes, Sweezus gazing dreamily skywards.

Belle looking under a rock.

Midge taking a photo.

Barbs getting something out of a back pack.

Maybe it's something to eat.


No comments: