Monday, March 7, 2016

Do Stuff Or Don't

Mayor Clements pulls up outside the Rockpool Café at Stokes Bay.

Sweezus and Arthur get out.

Three bikes and two surfboards are still leaning up against the wall.

There, you see, says Mayor Clements. No crime on K I.

Not much, anyway, says Irene.

Pile 'em on and hop in, says Mayor Clements.

Nah, says Sweezus. We'll stay here and do some more surfing. Could you take the boss's bike back?

Okay, says Mayor Clements. I'll be happy to do him a favour, seeing he's doing me one.

Sweezus lifts Vello's bike on to the Ford Escape's roof rack.

Mayor Clements and Irene drive back towards Emu Bay.

Good bike he has, says Mayor Clements to Irene.

They all have, says Irene.

A phone rings faintly above them.

That's weird.

.......

Coolio! says Sweezus. We're free.

Free to do something dangerous, says Arthur.

Wicked! Except..... says Sweezus.

Except what? asks Arthur.

That speech thing, says Sweezus. I got out of it, and you dropped me back in it. What'd you do that for?

I just said it, says Arthur. It's always good to keep your options open.

Arthur, says Sweezus. I just do stuff. Or I don't do stuff.

So do I, says Arthur. But Mayor Clements is happy.

And the boss won't be, says Sweezus, when he finds out about the golf course endorsement. And that I haven't written it.

He likes a challenge, says Arthur.

Whatever.

.........

Ring ring! Ring ring! Now two phones are ringing, up top.

Mayor Clements stops the car. He and Irene get out.

The phones are in a small back pack strapped to Vello's bicycle.

They left their PHONES behind! says Irene. I don't believe it.

She takes the phones out of the back pack.

You shouldn't do that, Irene, says Mayor Clements.

I'm a reporter, says Irene.

Bmmmm!

A message, for Vello.

Irene reads Vello's message, which is from someone called David.

2 slout shzs ths wknd!!

She commits it to memory.

.......

Vello, Shu and Gaius have left the Queenscliff Hotel, and are on their way back to the cabin.

Terence is supposed to be following, but has halted.

Saint Joseph-Grasshopper keeps tripping over his feathers.

His feathers?

Yes, the string has not worked as a flying aid, but may yet turn out useful.



No comments: