Thursday, March 17, 2016

And The Face Is The Face Of Elmo

The audience file out, their heads full of Ssü-K'ung Shu's poem.

petals are falling, like a girls robe, long ago...

They murmur to one another:

What do you suppose was the meaning?

All things must pass.

A bit inappropriate don't you think?

But unavoidable.

I meant the girl's dress coming off.

Even that's unavoidable.

What?

At bedtime. Or if it needs washing.

.........

How pleasing that Ssü K'ung Shu's poem has made everyone think.

Perhaps someone might start up a poetry club.

.......

Louise is waiting at the door for Terence.

Come to my house, says Louise.

It's Terence's bedtime, says Sweezus.

Just for ten minutes, says Louise. To get my red towel.

Okay, says Sweezus. I'll come too.

They start walking.

Wait a sec, says Sweezus. I thought you lived in Penneshaw.

With mum, says Louise. But in Kingscote I live with my dad.

Like me, says Terence.

Huh? says Sweezus. Don't make stuff up, little buddy.

I sometimes live with my dad, says Terence.

You can see he is going to cry in a minute.

Okay! says Sweezus. You sometimes live with your dad.

They arrive at Louise's dad's place.

Hi dad! calls Louise. Just brought a couple of friends home!

Louise's dad appears.

Where's my Elmo towel? says Louise. The one with the hood on.

Buggered if I know! says Louise's dad. Who are these people?

Sweezus and Terence, says Louise. YOU know. Sweezus is with Jacques Cousteau. He went diving with the Froggs. And he's playing Candide in a play. And Terence is the Bright Red Object. But he isn't bright enough. So I'm giving him my towel. Where is it?

Louise's dad goes off to look in the laundry.

He comes back with THE MOST WONDERFUL TOWEL!

It is bright red and hooded. And on the hood is a face. And the face is the face of ELMO.

Can it really be true that Terence is going to be given the wonderful towel?

You sure you want to give it to him? says Sweezus. It's pretty awesome.

I know, says Louise. It's my absolutely favourite towel.

She takes the red hooded Elmo towel from her dad and wraps it around herself, one last time.

Then she lets it fall to the floor like a giant red petal.....

Goodbye to her childhood.

Take it Terence, says Louise.

You are the best person in the world, says Terence. Except for my grandpa.

He takes the Elmo towel, puts it on.

The hood covers his little face entirely.

Look at him.

Bright red all over, two large white eyes with black dots in the middle, and a soft orange nose.


No comments: