Monday, March 12, 2018

Death And The Tool Box

Murray Bridge. Arthur pulls up outside Steamers Café.

Sweezus pulls up behind him.

Coffee break, says Arthur.

Cool, says Sweezus.

They all go inside.

Arthur and Sweezus order cold drip coffees and a flat white for Gaius.

Saint Roley edges up to the Growling Grass Frog, under the table.

You look happy, says Saint Roley.

 I am happy, says the Growling Grass Frog.

It suits you, says Saint Roley. Makes you plump and juicy.

I know you're hungry, says the Growling Grass Frog. What say we go exploring?

Okay, says Saint Roley.

They hop out of Steamers together.

Know much about Easter? asks Saint Roley.

Pfft! Hee-hee! laughs the Growling Grass Frog.

Why are you laughing? asks Saint Roley.

Saints should know about Easter, says the Growling Grass Frog. You're a saint. And that means...

What? asks Saint Roley.

They walk past a chocolate shop.

Chocolate, says the Growling Grass Frog.

Saint Roley is puzzled. Sweezus said fish and eggs but not chocolate.

Let's go in, says Saint Roley.

Welcome to my chocolate shop, says Ian Pithers. Are you with a human?

Not at the moment, says Saint Roley. I'm just here with him.

I was going to say the same thing, says the Growling Grass Frog.

Ian Pithers is charmed by their honesty. Would they care to sample a chocolate?

We don't know, says Saint Roley. 

I've been experimenting with a new chocolate egg, for Easter, says Ian Pithers.

Easter? says Saint Roley.

Easter and Egg, says the Growling Grass Frog. I've had luck with E-words this morning. I'll try one.

Ian Pithers brings out a tray of waxy brown half-eggs, striped with gold and silver.

Before I try one, says Saint Roley, may I ask a question?

Go ahead, says Ian Pithers.

What is Easter? asks Saint Roley.

A reconciliation of opposites, says Ian Pithers. Fasting and chocolate. Profit and loss. Spring and autumn. The life cycle. Death and renewal.

A thoughtful and wide-ranging answer

But Saint Roley is saddened, thinking of his drowned brother. What if he had a renewal that nobody noticed?

He heads for the door.

I'll try one, says the Growling Grass Frog. He tries one.

Urk! It's the worst thing he's tasted since he ate that black jelly, that time.

You don't like it, says Ian Pithers. Don't tell anyone.

I should be honest, says the Growling Grass Frog.

It's really for humans, says Ian Pithers. Are you travelling with humans?

Yes, all the way to Riobamba, says the Growling Grass Frog.

You don't say? says Ian Pithers. Tell you what, I'll give you some free samples to give to your humans. Perhaps they'll spread the word about my chocolates. Are they men, your companions?

Yes, says the Growling Grass Frog. I suppose so.

The Chocolate Tool Box, says Ian Pithers. Men love them.

He brings out three Chocolate Tool Boxes.

The Growling Grass Frog feels that life is becoming richer by the moment.

Balancing the three Chocolate Tool Boxes, he hurries after Saint Roley.


No comments: