Saturday, March 24, 2018

Species Sticking Together

Lydia returns from her lecture, to feed the green and gold bell frogs.

She has brought three defrosted dead mice.

Gaius is snoozing, but wakes up when Lydia says loudly:

Oh! One frog's gone missing.

Saint Roley, who had been keeping an eye on the green and gold bell frogs, knows there were four.

He backs away from the box, knowing he'll be the number one suspect if one is thought to be missing.

I only saw four, says Gaius. One may have escaped before we got here.

At last Dr Clulow returns to the office.

Gaius Plinius Secundus, great to see you, says Dr Clulow. I'm a big fan of yours.

Indeed, says Gaius. Likewise, Dr Clulow.

Call me Simon, says Dr Clulow.

This is my companion, Saint Roley, says Gaius, indicating Saint Roley.

He appears to be starving, says Simon. Lydia, could you rustle up some molluscs?

The four bell frogs prick up their ears.

Molluscs. How come he gets molluscs while we have to share three defrosted dead mice?

They say nothing however. At least they weren't eaten by the orange-beaked predator.

The world of academia is tough. Best to keep a low profile.

Thank you, says Saint Roley. I'm glad my earlier restraint will be rewarded.

Restraint? Don't tell me you were tempted to eat my green and gold bell frogs? laughs Simon.

I was, says Saint Roley. But we endangered species should stick together.

If only humans had the same attitude, says Simon.

Ha ha, laughs Gaius. That's a good one.

Lydia comes back with a tray of frozen molluscs.

Behind her are Arthur and Sweezus and Terence, who had been looking for Gaius.

Your friends are here, says Lydia.

Guess what! says Terence.

Terence saw a frog, says Sweezus. In the corridor.

Don't I know you guys? says Simon. Tour de France? Team Condor?

That's us, says Sweezus. So what's happening? Are we going to Ecuador?

I am, says Simon. So is Lydia and two other students. I'd be honoured if Gaius joined us, but really, funding only stretches so far....

We shall be funding ourselves, says Gaius. Arthur and Sweezus have a burgeoning business, selling fortune-telling Sea Salt. No doubt soon the profits will start rolling in.

Fascinating, says Simon. I've just taken a small delivery of pool salt for Riobamba. Must make sure our salts don't get mixed up.

They won't, says Arthur.

If Arthur says they won't, they won't, says Gaius. No one could be more reliable.

No comments: