Saturday, March 3, 2018

Not Being In Two Places

Several drinks later, the conversation turns to Gaius's rescue.

I can't drive, because of my ankle, says Margaret. Otherwise I would go, of course. And anyway how would I get there?

David will go in my car, says Katherine.

No, mother, says David. Much as I would like to, the show must come first.

I'll go, says Terence.

Ha ha, laughs Raelene. I bet he can drive too, the little monkey.

I can drive, says Terence. But I'm not allowed to. When I grow up I'll....

He remembers who he will be when he grows up.

Sweezus is downing his third ale.

Don't look at me, little buddy. And you can't go. You're the star of the play.

He's irreplaceable, says Vello.

I'll go, says Arthur. Give me the car keys.

It seems like a good resolution.

He's driven Katherine's car before.

Don't go now, says Sweezus. Cops are out, breath testing.

Might lose my licence, says Arthur.

This comforts the women. They think:

Arthur is sensible. Arthur must have a licence.

Katherine gives Arthur the car keys.

Margaret gives him her car keys as well.

Can't drive two cars at once, says Arthur.

Yeah okay, says Sweezus. I'll come with you.

Aren't you boys lovely, says Margaret. Do give my apologies to Gaius. Make sure he knows I lost my memory. It wasn't intentional.

Yep, says Sweezus. We'll tell him. See ya, Terence.

I wish you weren't lovely, says Terence.

It's not fair, because he is in the play with his potato and they are both irreplaceable so he can't go in Katherine's car with Sweezus and Arthur to rescue Gaius and Saint Roley and he wants to, but if he can't go he wishes Sweezus and Arthur couldn't go either and anyway they're not LOVELY.

The Red Parrot Potato tries a few words of comfort.

You can't be in two places at once, says the Red Parrot Potato.

You can, says Terence. You just did it.

That wasn't the same thing at all, says the Red Parrot Potato. I was two potatoes in the the same place at once. To be honest, I didn't think anyone would notice.

I wish I could do maths, says Terence.

.......

Leave early? says Arthur.

Early, says Sweezus. Does her car have a surfboard rack?

Don't think so, says Arthur.

Yeah it wouldn't, says Sweezus. She must be like, seventy.


No comments: