Saturday, November 13, 2021

Beyond French With Green Wheels

I suppose I shall have to go back to Osborne, says Roo-kai. But how will I carry the camera?

In a back pack, says Terence.

But I need to be able to use it while in the air, says Roo-kai. 

Fly upside down, says Terence.

You haven't thought that through, says Baby Pierre.

No he hasn't, says Gaius. Perhaps the Instructions say something about it.

He goes back inside, and comes out with the Instructions.

Here, at the bottom, says Gaius. 

Si vous ne....da da da......pour apporter le camera.... on peut recruter un petit assistant francais. 

What does that mean? asks Terence.

If he can't manage the camera he may recruit a small French assistant, says Gaius. What a pity, there is no one here who fits that description. 

What about me? says Baby Pierre.

Are you French? asks Roo-kai.

I am beyond French, says Baby Pierre. When I was formed, there were no such nations.

Me too, says Terence.

It is not true in your case, says Gaius. You were formed in Barcelona.  But it is true in the case of Baby Pierre, who was formed many eons ago.

That's all very well, says Roo-kai. But does being beyond French qualify him for the mission?

Look at me, says Baby Pierre. See this mark? It's the Mark of the Claw.

Or a tulip, says Terence.

Shut up! says Baby Pierre. It's the Mark of the Claw and it qualifies me for any mission.

Okay, says Roo-kai. It's not like I have much choice. At least you have a French name.

Baby! says Terence. 

He means Pierre, says Baby Pierre. 

Just one thing, says Roo-kai. You're a pebble. How will you carry a camera?

I'll take my bike, says Baby Pierre.

What! You expect me to carry you and a bike and a camera? squawks Roo-kai.

I'll cycle there, says Baby Pierre, and meet you at the front gate of the Techport Facility.

How long will it take you to get there? asks Roo-kai.

Less time than you! says Baby Pierre.

He is fast, says Gaius. His bike has wheels made from fluoroelastane.

Roo-kai doubts that Baby Pierre can get there faster.

But Baby Pierre has ducked into the shed and come out with a tiny bicycle.

It has strange green wheels.

They do look like wheels made from fluoroelastane.

Gaius hands him the camera.


No comments: