Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Half A Periscope

 Baby Pierre skids to a halt, in front of the half submarine.

You escaped! says Roo-kai. How did you do it?

There was an alarm. The guards ran out. I took off, says Baby Pierre.

It was me who set off the alarm, says Roo-kai. 

On purpose? asks Baby Pierre.

Yes, says Roo-kai. It was to save you.

Thanks, says Baby Pierre. But now the alarm's been set off.

Don't worry, says Roo-kai. I set it off in a different location. They'll be searching the buildings. Not here.

You are a good spy, says Baby Pierre. Have you had lots of practice?

None, says Roo-kai. 

Me either, says Baby Pierre. What do we do now?

Take photos, says Roo-kai. Where's the camera?

Here, says Baby Pierre. Do you want me to help you?

Yes, please, says Roo-kai. Wing tips are awkward things for pressing buttons. But when I think about it, I've not seen your hands.

Retractable, says Baby Pierre, extending his skinny arms proudly.

Fingers? asks Roo-kai. 

And fingers, says Baby Pierre. The strongest fingers in the universe.

You are a boaster, says Roo-kai.

Wait till you see me press buttons, says Baby Pierre. Shall we get started?

All right, says Roo-kai. 

He looks around in case the guards have stopped searching the buildings.

No, they are nowhere in sight.

An aerial shot would be nice, says Roo-kai. We might capture the periscope.

Does this half have a periscope? asks Baby Pierre. Aren't they usually in the middle?

I suppose this is one of the things the French government want to know, says Roo-kai. How far have they got? That was one of the questions.

Half a periscope? says Baby Pierre. 

Or nothing, says Roo-kai. Maybe a hole for the periscope to go in.

Or half a hole, says Baby Piere.

It might not be EXACTLY in the middle, says Roo-kai.

There might be no hole or anything, says Baby Pierre.

Even that would be valuable information, says Roo-kai. Right. Let's walk to the end of the submarine, then you climb on my back, holding the camera. I'll fly up and then slowly flap my way to the middle. When I get there, you take a photo. No, take a few. Then I'll descend. Don't drop the camera.

Strongest fingers in the universe never drop cameras, says Baby Pierre.

Good, says Roo-kai. I'm glad I've got you.


1 comment: