Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Thinking Better Of Bento

I heard that! says Wittgenstein. So you disagree that a word's use is its meaning?

Bento, says Vello.

Pardon? says Wittgenstein.

He said bento, says Sweezus. Maybe he's hungry.

I meant that to mean yes, I disagree with you, says Vello, coming out of the kitchen, with the Express Post bag.

Now that I know that, says Wittgenstein, your word has acquired a new meaning.

How very useful, says Vello. However, I'm not here to quibble.

But you were quibbling, says Wittgenstein. Or should we say performing a bento?

Do you guys even know what bento is? asks Sweezus.

Of course, says Vello.

I imagine it's some type of food,  says Wittgenstein. Since you suggested that Vello was hungry.

I'm not hungry, says Vello. I was just making a point.

You need to read my Philosophical Investigations, says Wittgenstein.

I shouldn't have to, says Vello. Sweezus will already have done it.

Yeah boss, says Sweezus. Already done it.

What type of food is it? asks Wittgenstein, who is now feeling hungry.

It's, like, Japanese, says Sweezus. Rice or noodles, fish or meat, and pickled vegetables packed in a box, in separate sections.

I like that, says Wittgenstein. It's neat and logical.

Want some? asks Sweezus. I'll head out and pick up a couple of boxes.

If you're going past an Express Post box, says Vello, you might drop this in.

Sure, boss, says Sweezus. 

He takes the Express Post bag from Vello and exits the office.

Roo-kai looks concerned.

What is it? asks Vello.

Now he knows, says Roo-kai.

Knows what? asks Vello.

You know what, says Roo-kai. That we're sending something to the French President.

But he doesn't know what, says Vello.

He saw the camera, says Roo-kai.

He doesn't know what's on it, says Vello.

President? says Wittgenstein. I thought you said it was for the Presbyterians.

I used the word to mean President, says Vello. As you see, I'm as adept at word games as you are.

Wittgenstein thinks about saying Bento, but in the end, doesn't.


No comments: