Monday, November 22, 2021

Moustache and Towel

Victor leaves, still feeling suspicious.

He gets into his police van and drives a short way down the road. 

He stops under a street jacaranda.

And makes a call to police headquarters.

Then he settles down for a spot of surveillance.

.....

Baby Pierre is not back yet.

Should I go and look for him? asks Roo-kai.

No, says Gaius. I have a feeling Victor is suspicious. 

So what? says Roo-kai. I would only be looking.

He might follow you, says Gaius.

He's gone, says Roo-kai.

Can we be sure of that? asks Gaius.

NO! says Terence. He might have just driven his police van down the road and stopped! And now he's spying on us!

Shall I fly up to the roof and see? asks Roo-kai.

Risky, says Gaius.

He could wear a disguise, says Terence. 

What disguise? asks Roo-kai.

A moustache and a towel, says Terence.

I'm not flying up to the roof in a moustache and towel, says Roo-kai.

I'll go! says Terence.

One problem, says Gaius.

No problem, says Terence. I'll wear a disguise and walk out to the footpath and look up and down the street to see if Victor is spying.

What about the bracelet? says Gaius. 

I can take it off, says Terence. Victor said I didn't really need it.

But he has to do it, says Gaius.

That's even better, says Terence.

He runs to the bathroom and pulls down a towel. A red one.

Now for the moustache.

.....

Victor is sitting in his police van, watching for comings and goings in Gaius's vicinity.

A red figure swishes out of the gate.

The red figure comes towards him. 

Could it be a neighbour?

Could it be Roo-kai?

But no. It's that rascally Terence.

Terence approaches.

Victor rolls down the window.

What is it?

Who am I? asks Terence. 

You look like Terence in a red towel, says Victor. But what's that on your face?

My moustache, says Terence. How did you know it was me?

It's not straight, says Victor. One side is higher than the other.

I couldn't see in the mirror, says Terence.

Why are you here? asks Victor.

Can you take my ankle bracelet off? asks Terence.

I suppose so, says Victor. Get in.

He opens the passenger door of the police van.

Terence climbs in.

Victor fiddles with the locking device on the bracelet.

As he has his head down, he fails to see Baby Pierre pedal past and turn in to Gaius's driveway.

What good timing.


No comments: