Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Compassionate Strings

Roo-kai flies out of the Aldi, and back to the police van.

They shooed me out! says Roo-kai.

That was really bad spying, says Terence.

But I learned something, says Roo-kai.

What? asks Terence. 

The layout, says Roo-kai. The fridges are located along the north and east sides, and the checkout is on the west side, near the entrance.

Well, says Gaius. I call that good spying.

Thank you, says Roo-kai.

What's all this about spying? asks Victor. I thought you went in to do shopping.

I had no time to shop, says Roo-kai. But I saw where they keep the red fruit drinks.

Yay! says Terence. Can we go back and get some?

No, says Victor.

Apples? asks Gaius.

No, says Victor. We must go. I've a report to write, after I've dropped you.

Dropped us where? asks Gaius. Surely you can tell us where we're going?

All right, says Victor. Since we're so close. Your place.

I knew it! says Gaius. That's most acceptable.

You can thank your friend Vello, says Victor. He has pulled strings on your behalf.

Has he pulled strings on my half? asks Terence.

Not particularly, says Victor. But as an infant you could hardly be parted from your guardian.

Observe, Terence, says Gaius. An example of compassionate policing.

Everything we police do is compassionate, says Victor.

I don't doubt it, says Gaius. How about letting me pop into the Aldi to buy a few apples?

Get into the police van, says Victor.

Gaius, Terence and Roo-kai pile in.

Victor locks the door, gets in the front and starts driving. 

Gaius's house is not far up the road. 

Victor pulls up outside it, gets out, walks round to the back of the police van and unlocks the door.

Gaius jumps out, followed by Terence, and Roo-kai.

Hey! says Terence. I forgot the instructions! 

I can't let you back in the police van, says Victor. Where are they?

In a packet, says Terence. 

Victor climbs into the back of the police van, feels around on the floor.

Ah! a packet.

He emerges from the police van with the packet.

I shall have to seize this, says Victor. 

But it's MINE! cries Terence.

No, it's mine, says Roo-kai.

It has French words on the cover, says Victor. 

We've been in France, says Gaius.

Nevertheless, says Victor. It's evidence. When it's been examined, you may get it back.

It's a child's game, says Gaius.

That remains to be seen, says Victor. Let's go inside. I need to fit your home quarantine ankle bracelet.

Do I get one? asks Terence.

You do, says Victor. 

Imagine Terence's excitement.


No comments: