Thursday, November 4, 2021

First Destroy Your Instructions

By the way, here is your packet, says Vello.

He hands Gaius the packet.

How did you persuade Victor to return it? asks Gaius.

I told him what the French words meant, says Vello. 

Directives Pour Espionner, says Gaius. Surely that only increased his suspicions?

Directions for the Brighton Hotel, says Vello. Also known as The Espy.

And he believed you? says Gaius.

Why not? says Vello. He knows I am French.

Can I have the Instructions? asks Terence.

Here, says Gaius. You're lucky Victor returned them so soon.

He hands Terence the packet.

Come on, Roo-kai, says Terence. I've got the Instructions.

Let me open the packet, says Roo-kai. 

He tries to open the packet, with his beak. 

But of course he can't do it.

That's why they gave the Instructions to me, says Terence. I'll open it.

He rips open the packet.

You ripped it in HALF! says Roo-kai.

That's good, says Terence. Spies have to destroy their Instructions.

Not before they've read them, says Roo-kai.

I know, says Terence. They're only in two pieces. We can put them together, read them, remember them and then destroy them, and it'll be easy because I've already done it.

Get the pieces out, says Roo-kai.

Terence pulls out the two halves of Instructions.

I'll look at this one, you look at that one, says Terence.

Okay, says Roo-kai. But you can't read, can you?

We can swap, after, says Terence.

He examines his half of the Instructions.

Half a map. And some letters and numbers. A few boxes.

Roo-kai meanwhile looks at his.

Half a map, and what looks like a half a series of multiple choice questions.

Roo-kai is disappointed with the simplistic nature of the French Government's methods of spying.


No comments: