Saturday, January 8, 2022

Cheat Cheat Cheat

The camper pulls up in the Dubbo Zoo carpark

Arthur and Ludwig are waiting outside.

Hey! says Sweezus, I can't believe you guys paid forty three dollars twenty each to go in there.

We didn't, says Arthur. 

But you did go in, says Sweezus. I heard a monkey. 

We went in, says Arthur. It's easy to get into a zoo if the shop's near the exit.

Like how? asks Sweezus.

Do you want to go in? asks Arthur. I'll show you.

No time, says Gaius. We need to push on to Taree. 

Guess what? says Terence.

What? says Arthur.

We had a poetry competition, says Terence.

Who won? asks Arthur.

It's not over yet, says Gaius. In fact, now that you're here, I could use some advice.

That's not fair, says Terence.

Just a general question, says Gaius. 

I thought we were going, says Terence.

We'll get a snack first, says Gaius. Is there anywhere here we can do that?

I'll go back in, says Ludwig. I know how to do it.

He goes to the ticket office. 

Excuse me, I have just realised I came out of the zoo before visiting the gift shop, says Ludwig. May I go back inside?

Sure, says the ticket person. Go for it. 

Ludwig re-enters the zoo, only then remembering that he has not taken orders.

He appears at the bars.

What does everyone want? asks Ludwig.

Buns and coffee, says Sweezus. No, chips and sauce. And buns. 

Sounds good, says Gaius.

Were there any horses in there? asks Terence.

No, says Arthur. Only a zebra.

A zebra is not a horse, says Gaius. Which reminds me. My poem.

How far have you got? asks Arthur.

The first verse is in  Latin, says Gaius. 

Olim sub humus nunc sub aqua/ Acutus nitidus puncta tres/ Crystallum fulgit/ Dum......

Once under earth now under water, sharp shiny three-pointed, the crystal gleams, until.... says Arthur, who was good at Latin at school.

Until, says Gaius. I thought of doing the second part in the voice of the crystal.

So use English, says Arthur.

What a good idea, says Gaius. I knew you'd come up with something.

Cheat cheat cheat, says Terence.

Not really, says Roo-kai. It will be easier for me to judge, if the second part's in English.

Ludwig returns with chips and sauce, buns, coffee and a snake bracelet.

Thought I'd better buy a gift, says Ludwig. Who wants it?

It's a snap bracelet covered in sequins, with a fluffy snake's head at one end.

Me! says Terence.

He is given it. 

What a good day!

No comments: