Friday, January 21, 2022

No Disconnect, Many Parallels

Upstairs, in the World's Largest Oyster, Wittgenstein, Gaius and Terence look out over Taree.

Roo-kai hops around looking at cars.

Someone should at least show an interest.

Keep an eye on your bird, says the dealer. Don't want any scratches on our brand new Nissans.

Or bird poo, says Terence, turning round.

Or that, says the dealer. 

I object to the implication, says Roo-kai. 

He's my parrot, says Terence. He won't scratch or poo.

I'm the only one with any interest, says Roo-kai. How much is this one?

Never mind, says the dealer. You're not really interested are you?

No, I'm not, says Roo-kai. 

And you're no parrot, says the dealer.

I am currently acting as a parrot, says Roo-kai.

But you are in reality an oystercatcher, says the dealer.

I am, says Roo-kai. 

Are you here for the oysters? asks the dealer.

To be honest, I'm here for the frogs, says Roo-kai.

Gaius turns to Roo-kai and the dealer.

Are there oysters? asks Gaius.

Are there oysters! says the dealer. Why do you think someone built this?

He gestures towards the oyster-shaped ceiling.

We pull three million oysters a year from our rivers, says the dealer.

Where are they? asks Terence.

Up the road, says the dealer.

And the frogs? asks Gaius. 

Same, says the dealer. But no one eats frogs.

We are here to look for Screaming Tree Frogs, says Gaius. Is there a campsite nearby from which we might begin our investigations?

Up the road, says the dealer. Dawson River.

Thank you, says Gaius. Very useful. Coming, Ludwig?

In a moment, says Wittgenstein. 

Ah, says the dealer, you strike me as a Nissan Patrol man. Let me show you....

Thank you, says Wittgenstein. But I'm only interested in the disconnect between the cars and the oysters.

No disconnect, says the dealer. There are many parallels between Nissans and oysters.

Would you care to elaborate? asks Wittgenstein.

I would, says the dealer, but I see a customer who looks more interested in Nissans than you are.

It's true. A customer has come up the stairs, looking interested in the Nissans.

Join us for dinner, says Wittgenstein. We can speak further,

Where? asks the dealer.

Dawson River, says Wittgenstein. We're in the flowery camper. Come by at seven.

Done, says the dealer. 


No comments: