Sunday, January 30, 2022

The Upside Has A Downside

It's late, says Haruki. I'd best be going. Thanks for a great evening.

Thanks for the oysters and beer, says Gaius.

And nothing for me, says Terence.

Terence, says Gaius. Go and see where Roo-kai is.

Terence climbs into the camper, which is where Roo-kai was.

Goodbye, Haruki, says Wittgenstein. 

Goodbye, says Haruki. If you change your mind about buying a Nissan, you realise you could trade in this camper?

No, he couldn't, says Gaius. It's not his.

Well, you could, says Haruki. 

It's not mine either. says Gaius. It belongs to a surfing friend of another colleague.

Which reminds me, says Wittgenstein. The Mazda's not back yet.

What's this about a Mazda? asks Haruki.

I hired a Mazda, says Wittgenstein. But two of our party have gone off in it.

To the coast, says Gaius. They'll probably turn up in the morning.

A Mazda, says Haruki. It's probably broken down.

Nonsense, says Gaius. And if it has it will be covered by insurance.

Yes, says Wittgenstein. It will be.

Horses for courses, says Haruki, and heads off on foot.

I can't find Roo-kai! cries Terence, sticking his head out of the door of the camper.

He'll be somewhere nearby, says Gaius. Come back out. You can search the campsite, while Ludwig and I set up our bunks.

I need a torch, says Terence.

There are plenty of lights, says Gaius. Try the amenities.

Terence goes off,  without a torch, towards the amenities.

Roo-kai is perched on a bench, near the gents.

I felt a bit nauseous, says Roo-kai. Those oyster-tainted walnuts. I'm better now.

Did you vomit? asks Terence.

Several times, says Roo-kai. Do I look pale?

No, you look like a parrot, says Terence.

Kind of you to say so, says Roo-kai. How did the frog expedition go?

We found the same one twice, says Terence. 

Where is it? asks Roo-kai. 

It went off again, says Terence. It said next time it wanted more cordiality.

I suppose you think that's a concentrated fruit juice, says Roo-kai. 

Why? asks Terence.

Don't you? asks Roo-kai.

No, says Terence. 

It's friendly politeness, says Roo-kai.

That explains everything, says Terence. Hey! Want to come with me and find it? You have friendly politeness.

Okay, says Roo-kai. But we should tell Gaius first.

Terence doesn't think they need to but Roo-kai insists.

This is the downside of friendly politeness.


No comments: