Thursday, January 6, 2022

Coming Out Awesome

They get out of the camper, and sit under the tree.

They leave the camper doors open to air out the onion.

That was a close one, says Sweezus.

It was, says Gaius. I feel guilty, letting you drive all the way.

My eyes were all watery, says Sweezus. They still are.

Mine are fine, says Gaius. I am used to strong smells.

Can I talk yet? asks Terence.

We're not in Dubbo, says Sweezus.

But we're not in the camper, says Terence.

That is true, says Roo-kai. 

So can I? asks Terence.

Okay, says Sweezus. Talk away.

I'm used to strong smells too, says Terence.

Is that all you wanted to say? asks Sweezus.

Ask me which ones, says Terence.

No, says Sweezus. I'm busy breathing fresh air and getting my eyes back to normal.

How long will that take? asks Gaius. Arthur and Ludwig will be waiting in Dubbo.

Maybe five minutes, says Sweezus. Maybe longer.

I'll drive, says Gaius. Until you recover.

My voice hurts, says Terence. Too much talking.

Very funny, says Sweezus.

They get back in the camper, which now smells better.

Gaius turns on the engine.

Rmmmm!

Off they go. 

Terence is not allowed to talk now he's back in the camper.

But he's thinking of smells he is used to.

Fish glue, that's one. Bull glue, that's another.

Sweezus is happy not to be driving. Now he can work on his poem.

He wants it to be, like, empathetic, but not schmaltzy. Like, kind of : 

ODE TO A DROPPED ROCK

How much would it suck

To be you

Maybe not much

Some crystals are buried for eons

You came up to the light

Look on the bright side

Remember the good times

You made it to Cobar

There was fuck all in Nyngan to do.


Woah, thinks Sweezus, did that or did that not come out awesome!


No comments: