Monday, January 31, 2022

The One With The Flowers

Roo-kai returns to the camper.

Gaius and Wittgenstein are already sleeping.

He reports back to Terence.

They're sleeping, says Roo-kai.

Let's go! says Terence. 

Okay, says Roo-kai. We should leave a note though.

Can you write? asks Terence.

No, says Roo-kai.

Neither can I, says Terence.

You can do maps, says Roo-kai. And arrows.

But we don't know where we're going, says Terence. Wait till we come back.

Too late then, says Roo-kai.

Stop causing trouble, says Terence.

They head to the trail by the river.

Listen for screaming, says Terence.

They listen. 

Auk Auk!

That's him, says Terence. Now what shall I say?

You usually come up with something, says Roo-kai.

Yes, but I want to be juicy, says Terence.

Cordial, says Roo-kai. 

So what's a good greeting? asks Terence.

Prithee, says Roo-kai.

That's really good, says Terence. Then what?

Prithee, forgive me for the other two times, says Roo-kai.

When it all went pear-shaped, says Terence.

You know about pear-shaped? says Roo-kai.

It's what things go for Sweezus, says Terence. He told me.

Well you don't need to mention that, says Roo-kai. 

Auk Auk!

Woop! says Terence. He's here!

Yes I am, says the Screaming Tree Frog. Third time lucky.

Prithee, says Terence.

Okay, says the Screaming Tree Frog. I was listening. I forgive you. 

What did you want to ask me? asks Terence.

Nothing, says the Screaming Tree Frog. I wanted to ask the old guy.

Which one? asks Terence.

The first one, says the Screaming Tree Frog. The one you were with.

That was Gaius, says Terence. He's sleeping. Tell us your question.

Why have I never met a Slender Bleating Tree Frog? says the Screaming Tree Frog.

What a good question, says Roo-kai. Why don't you come to the camper in the morning, and ask Gaius.

I will, says the Screaming Tree Frog. Which one is your camper?

The one with the flowers, says Roo-kai.

And the snoring, says Terence. And us, waiting for you outside.

No comments: